In my last post, I wrote about how we used rubber band loom to create yarn flower. Those flowers were small. We wanted to create a bigger flower and could not use rubber band loom for that. I was searching for something which has four pegs. When I got the idea of my toddler's mega blocks, I almost jumped in joy.
Materials needed :
2. Building blocks - Mega bloks, Lego or any brand will do. But we need at least 4 pegs in the block.
4. Sewing thread
5. Glue - We used school glue
6. Gem or small pom pom
1. Attach the yarn to one side of the block with a tape. Wrap the yarn around any diagonally opposite pegs making an eight at the middle. We continued for 3 to 4 times as our yarn was thin. You can stop with one wrapping if your yarn is thick.
2. Now change direction and wrap around the other two alternate pegs. Repeat wrapping at this direction for 3 -4 times. The yarn should always connect alternate pegs and not adjacent pegs.
3. Repeat step 1 and step 2 till you feel you have enough yarn to make petals. Cut the yarn. Attach it to the block with a piece of tape.
4. Thread the needle with sewing thread. Connect the yarn at the center by running the needle in all four directions. Do not cut the sewing thread now.
5. Remove the yarn from the block. If there are any loose yarn near the center continue stitching the yarn to the center. Since it was little difficult to stitch with the block, there would be loose yarn after removing from the block. When all the yarn are connected, cut the stitching thread. Cut the two ends of the yarn near the center.
6. Now we have four petals flower. When my toddler saw this, she was shouting butterfly. Next time, I will attach a pipe cleaner at the middle and make her a butterfly.
7. Repeat the steps above to make another four petals flower.
8. Glue both the four petals together at the center without overlapping their petals. You can even stitch them together.
9. Glue a gem at the center to hide the stitch.
10. Very beautiful yarn flower is done! As you can see, it is very simple to do. My daughter needed help when she stitched near the center as it was little tricky for her. Otherwise she was fine.
Thanks for reading the post. Hope you enjoyed reading! You may be interested in our rubber band loom yarn flower!
If you found this post useful, pin it or share it. It will keep me motivated. Thank you!